- Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations creates ‘Project Hero’ – a unique version of New Land Rover Discovery for the Austrian Red Cross
- Red Cross to trial new search and rescue drone that can take off and land on New Discovery with vehicle in motion
- World-first magnetic retention and self-centring drone technology aims to help Red Cross improve communications and cut disaster response times
- Deployment of New Discovery is the latest collaborative project in 64-year global relationship between Land Rover and the Red Cross
Ryton-on-Dunsmore, England – Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) has designed and engineered a bespoke version of the new Land Rover Discovery for use by the Austrian Red Cross. ‘Project Hero’ was presented to the world’s media for the first time today at the Geneva Motor Show.
Project Hero is an advanced communication vehicle, created to support Jaguar Land Rover’s partnership with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), the world’s largest humanitarian network. SVO collaborated with the Austrian Red Cross to develop a unique Land Rover that will be trialled by their emergency response teams. It is hoped it will help the Red Cross save lives by speeding up response times to disasters.
Land Rover has supported the Red Cross for 64 years and supplied 120 vehicles to the IFRC for deployment in all corners of the globe. Project Hero is the first with a roof-mounted drone. A fully integrated landing system featuring self-centring and magnetic retention technology is a world-first that enables the drone to land on Project Hero when the vehicle is in motion.
The drone enhances New Discovery’s already outstanding capability. With the drone airborne, live footage can be transmitted to the Red Cross’s emergency response teams, helping them respond more quickly and effectively to landslides, earthquakes, floods and avalanches. Dramatic landscape changes can make maps redundant, which adds to the danger and difficulty of finding and rescuing survivors, so the drone’s bird’s-eye view will allow rescuers to investigate an emergency scene from a safe distance.
John Edwards, Jaguar Land Rover Special Operations Managing Director, said: “Land Rover and the team of engineers and designers at SVO are proud to support the incredible humanitarian work of the IFRC and its members. The new Discovery is an outstanding all-terrain SUV, and Project Hero is the optimum combination of enhanced capability and innovative technology. We hope to help the Red Cross save lives in emergency situations.”
Dr Jemilah Mahmood, IFRC Under Secretary General for Partnerships, said: “We are grateful to Land Rover for their generous support over the past 60 years, and are proud of our ambitious global partnership that has transformed the lives of millions of people on four continents. The partnership is supporting communities around the world to become more resilient in the face of natural disasters such as monsoons, flooding and earthquakes. Project Hero combines the best expertise of the Red Cross and Jaguar Land Rover to create a truly unique vehicle, which we hope will be capable of making a difference to rescue operations in the toughest environments.”
Project Hero is based on the 3.0-litre TD6 engine-powered version of the new Land Rover Discovery. In addition to the unique drone technology supplied in Project Hero, the rear of the interior in this special vehicle also features:
- Heavy-duty sliding floor in the rear load space, which may be deployed as an addition work surface, or to protect the load carried underneath
- Segregation panel behind the rear seats providing additional equipment mounting points
- Strategically positioned LED lighting to aid night vision
- Innovative power supply points which accept multiple plug arrangements from different regions
- Project Hero is also equipped with multiple frequency radio equipment enabling contact to be made in a variety of situations.
What Exactly is Project Hero?
The Project Hero drone can be controlled from the safety of the vehicle using a tablet app that allows the occupants to assess the surrounding environment as they drive.
The technical flexibility of Project Hero allows the Austrian Red Cross to host specialist communication equipment in the vehicle, so the team can co-ordinate the next steps live on the scene as efficiently as possible, regardless of the challenges presented by the terrain and environment.
Working closely with the Red Cross, SVO engineers and designers used their extensive experience to push the boundaries of ergonomic design with clever storage, including external access through innovative side hatches and a pull-out floor. Further storage can be reconfigured internally during transit without the occupants leaving the vehicle and compromising their safety.
Technical Specifications of The Built-in Drone (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle):
- UASpPlatform: Taiwanese Align M480L UAV*
- Empty weight: 2,700g
- Max take-off weight: 7,200g
- Payload capacity: 5,500g (inc. battery/sensors)
- Transmission range: 1km
- Flight time [minutes]: 20 (6S 5,200mAh battery with zero payload)
- Airframe diameter: 800mm
- Airframe width: 1,006mm
- Airframe length: 900mm
- Airframe height: 211.5mm (docked)
- Rotor diameter: 15in
- Maximum speed: 33.5mph
Highlights of the New 2017 Land Rover Discovery
- Flexible interior provides seven full-sized adult seats, instantly configurable from your smartphone using the world-first remote Intelligent Seat Fold technology
- Semi-autonomous safety technology provides the family peace of mind
- Premium interior combines leading design with durable, high-quality materials and space for the whole family
- Land Rover’s full-sized SUV architecture delivers world-beating all-terrain capability
- Lightweight aluminium construction saves 480kg, delivering enhanced efficiency and CO2 emissions from 159g/km
- Super-clean Ingenium family grows with adoption of 240PS, four-cylinder diesel engine with 500Nm of torque
- Towing king: best-in-class 3,500kg towing capacity and semi-autonomous Advanced Tow Assist take the stress out of difficult reversing manoeuvres
- Design retains key Discovery family cues, adding optimised proportions and sophisticated surfaces
- Up to 2,500 litres of luggage space and clever storage for 21st century family essentials
- Digital Discovery equipped with up to nine USB ports, six 12-volt charging points and an in-car 3G WiFi hotspot for up to eight devices