The top-of-the-range Mercedes-Benz sedan takes another big step towards the future of autonomous driving and elevates Intelligent Drive to the next level. For example, Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC and Active Steering Assist now provide even more support for the driver to keep a safe distance and steer. The speed is now adjusted automatically ahead of curves or junctions.
Further unique features of the S-Class in its segment include the LED Intelligent Light System with Ultra Wide Beam, Road Surface Scan (the forward-looking detection of bumps) and curve-tilting function.
In conjunction with the new LED Intelligent Light System, the S-Class features three distinctive accents of light as an exclusive design element, as well as the newly redesigned sporty front bumper with pronounced air intakes. The new LED taillamps, reminiscent of crystal jewels, stand out at the rear and ensure a characteristic design both by day and by night.
All models are fitted with a redesigned lower bumper section with an integrated visible tailpipe trim. The tailpipes are framed by a chrome trim element, which spans the entire width of the vehicle. Two new 20" alloy wheels are also available.
The interior of the new S-Class is characterized by two, new high-resolution displays, each with a screen diagonal of 12.3 inches. Visually, the two displays under one shared glass cover blend into a wide-screen cockpit; this central element consequently emphasizes the horizontal orientation of the interior design.
The newly redesigned S-Class has Touch Control Buttons on the steering wheel that respond to swiping motions like the screen of a smartphone and enables the driver to control the entire multimedia system without having to take their hands off the steering wheel.
The multimedia system can also be operated via the touchpad with controller in the center console and by Voice Control. The operation of Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC or standard cruise control is controlled via steering wheel-mounted controls.
World-first: wellness while driving
ENERGIZING Comfort is a world-first entering series production. This optional feature links various comfort systems in the vehicle together. It systematically uses the functions of the climate control system (including fragrancing) and the seats (heater, ventilation, massage), the console heating as well as lighting and musical atmospheres, and enables a specific wellness set-up tailored to the mood and need of the driver. This enhances the physical comfort and performance both while driving and during breaks. ENERGIZING Comfort can be experienced in all seats, depending on the equipment level.
The following six Energizing Comfort programs can be selected:
- Training (three trainings – muscle relaxation, muscle activation and balance - each with several exercises)
Each program runs for ten minutes and are visualized on the headunit with color graphics, and backed by suitable music. Five songs are already stored in the program. The key function in the "Vitality" program, for example, is fast and upbeat music. If personal music selections are available, for example via the Media Interface, the system analyzes them in the background and assigns them to a program based on the beats per minute (bpm). Individual functions of the program can also be deactivated.
Powertrain: new engines with landmark technology
The S-Class model range now includes the S450 and S450 4MATIC with a 3.0L V6 biturbo engine that produces 362 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque.
The new 4.0L V8 comes to the starting line with 463 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque in the Mercedes-Benz S560 and Mercedes-Maybach S560 4MATIC. The new biturbo engine is among the most economical V8 engines in the world, and consumes about ten percent less fuel than the predecessor. To lower the fuel consumption, four cylinders of the new V8 are deactivated simultaneously under partial load with the help of the CAMTRONIC valve-lift adjustment system. This reduces gas-cycle losses and enhances the overall efficiency of the four firing cylinders by shifting the operating point towards higher loads. The turbochargers positioned in the V of the cylinder banks represent another special feature.
For superior performance with significantly reduced fuel consumption, the Handcrafted-AMG 4.0L V8 biturbo engine with cylinder deactivation replaces the previous 5.5L V8 biturbo engine in the Mercedes-AMG S65. Despite less displacement, the new engine produces 603 hp.
Intelligent Drive: The Next Step in Driver Assistance Systems
The S-Class takes another major step towards autonomous driving, elevating Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive to the next level. Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC and Active Steering Assist now provide even more comfortable support for the driver to keep a safe distance and stay in their lane. The speed is now adjusted automatically ahead of curves or intersections, which is complemented by a considerably improved Active Lane Change Assist and additional functions of Active Emergency Stop Assist.
Thanks to enhanced camera and radar systems, the facelifted S-Class has an even better view of the surrounding traffic. In addition, for the first time it makes use of map and navigation data to calculate driving behavior.
The new Driver Assistance Package includes but is not limited to the following functions:
- Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC uses substantially more map and navigation data, can support the driver based on the route, and Active Speed Limit Assist is able to conveniently adjust the vehicle’s speed.
- Active Steering Assist has been noticeably improved across its entire performance range, resulting in markedly enhanced customer benefits.
- Active Lane Change Assist has also been considerably upgraded. Now tapping the indicator stalk is all it takes to initiate a lane change. This lane change is executed within the next ten seconds and indicated in the instrument cluster with the appropriate visual display, if the vehicle sensor system does not detect any vehicles in the relevant safety zone the driver might have missed.
- Active Emergency Stop Assist brakes the vehicle to a stop when Active Steering Assist is engaged and the system recognizes that the driver is not intervening in the driving process on a sustained basis.
- Traffic Sign Assist: Posted speed limits are displayed for the current section of the route through image recognition and information from the digital road map of the navigation system. The vehicle speed is compared with the speed limit. When the driver selects the appropriate settings, a visual/ audible warning signal is issued any time the speed limit is exceeded.
#Mercedes Benz #Luxury Vehicles #New Vehicles #Vehicle Safety #Technology #News